A Profile on accomplishments and achievements of Mr. Thumbay Moideen Founder President Thumbay Group UAE and Founder President, Board of Governors, Gulf Medical University, Ajman - UAE.
A man of vision and dynamism, with a determination to succeed, Thumbay Moideen is recognized in India and beyond, for the various achievements to his credit.
Born on 23rd March, 1957, Mangalorean by birth, Mr. Moideen, a third generation entrepreneur was raised in a traditional family with a business background. Today, his name is synonymous with professionalism and positive approach. Taking to business at the tender age of 21 years, he demonstrated his business acumen from the very start.
Mr. Moideen handled the mantle of the large business house established by his father Mr. Ahamed Hajee Mohiudeen. His father’s and grandfather Mr. Yenepoya Moideen Kunhi’s inspiration enabled him to grow and expand the business, taking it to new heights within a few years.
In the year 1998, Mr. Moideen established the THUMBAY Group, U.A.E. Under his dynamic leadership it went on to achieve tremendous growth, and in the process, provided a means of livelihood to hundreds of families over the last decade. The
Thumbay Group has since ventured into Health Education, Healthcare, Medical Research, Diagnostics, Retail Pharmacy, Health Communications, Information Technology, Retail Opticals, Wellness, Hospitality and Real Estate.
Mr. Thumbay Moideen has forayed into Medical Education and Healthcare Services in Ajman-United Arab Emirates, when there was no existing set-up to cater to the needs of the students to pursue higher education in medicine and healthcare sciences in the private sector. Mr. Moideen is the first expatriate to be invited by the Rulers of Ajman to start a medical college in U.A.E. Thus, Gulf Medical College took shape which soon became a destination for medical education not only for local students, but to students from over 67 countries. Today, the institution is a name to reckon with in the region and stands out on par with some of the best medical institutions in the world.
The result of Mr. Moideen’s initiatives and vision have taken medical education to a greater level and has resulted in over 400 students graduating and presently working or pursuing Post Graduate Courses in over 20 countries. Graduates of Gulf Medical University (GMU) are placed in leading universities across the world.
Highlights of Gulf medical university:
- GMU is the first medical university started by an expatriate in U.A.E. recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research, U.A.E.
- It is the first institution to accept students of both genders and from all nationalities.
- It currently has a global composition of the university community made up of an international faculty drawn from 22 countries and a student cohort from 67 countries.
- GMU is also the first institution to have launched a private teaching hospital (GMC Hospital) in the country, enabling the students to pursue their clinical training and thus serving people from over 150 nationalities to get high quality healthcare at affordable costs.
- Summer Training Program - a unique program which places senior clinical students into reputed hospitals and healthcare institutions around the globe to experience the best of clinical training.
- Residency programs in Germany
- The Health Communications Division (HCD) - Founded in 1999 brings out a most acclaimed bi-monthly, bi-lingual health and wellness magazine "HEALTH". It provides an excellent medium of communication between companies and healthcare professionals in the region. The other activities of HCD include holding conferences, seminars, workshops and symposia consistent with the needs of specific groups and organizations to broaden their professional competencies and to meet with the licence requirements by awarding accredited certificates.
- Continued Medical Education (CME)/Continued Professional Development (CPD) Programs - one of the youngest institutions to have started CME and CPD programs benefiting over 17500 professionals over the last 14 years.
The pioneering spirit, vision, sheer conviction, courage and confidence of Mr. Thumbay Moideen soon led to realization of becoming a leader in the field of healthcare.
Other Business Enterprises:
The Thumbay Group owns :
GMC Hospitals - Ajman, Fujairah and Sharjah
GMC Hospital, Ajman is a constituent private teaching university hospital with a capacity of 250 beds housed with ultra-modern facilities. GMC hospital has the distinction of handling more than 12 deliveries a day, the Outpatient Department (OPD) up to 1200 patients a day and a total of 230,000 patients a year.
GMC Pharmacies - a chain of 24 hours retail pharmacies providing a wide range of medication to cater to the requirement of all medical, surgical specialities in the region. Branches of GMC pharmacies are located in Ajman, Sharjah and Fujairah.
GMC Diagnostic Laboratories - a chain of Diagnostic Laboratories to deliver quality reports with utmost precision within a specific time frame to its patients. Branches of GMC Diagnostics are located in Ajman, Sharjah and Fujairah.
Body and Soul Health Club & Spas - an International Chain of Health Clubs with branches in Ajman, Sharjah and Dubai - inculcates the spirit of rejuvenation of Body and Mind.
Blends and Brews Coffee Shops - an International Chain of Coffee Shoppes with a global presence - provides the best and most satisfying coffee experience to the customers, quality beverages and innovative menus in a stimulating and world class ambience.
The Terrace Restaurant, Ajman - a Multi-Cuisine Restaurant Chain which belongs to Leisure & Hospitality Division of Thumbay Group is the destination for authentic multi-culinary experience. It is simply the perfect venue for everyone to rejoice and celebrate the spirit of dining.
Zo & Mo Opticals - a chain of optical shops in Ajman and Fujairah offering a wide range of international brands of Opticals and accessories.
Nutri Plus Vita, the Energy Store offers counselling and nutritional products under experts’ supervision and guidance.
Thumbay Builders - U.AE. - Involved in Pre-Construction, Construction Implementation, Post-Construction, Project Support, Building Construction
Thumbay Marketing & Trading Distribution Co., Ajman-U.A.E.
For more details on Thumbay Group’s activities please visit www.thumbay.com
Recognitions for a Leader:
As a true leader Mr. Moideen has infused the values of dedication, discipline, dynamism and hard work at all levels of his organization. He enjoys tremendous respect from all sections of society, evident from the fact that he is invited by various associations and organizations to be on their board as an active office bearer or in an advisory capacity.
- Chief Patron of Ajman Indian Association & Indian Business Council, Ajman
- Chief Patron of Beary's Association, Dubai
- President of Asian Hospital Federation, UAE region
- Member of International Hospital Federation, Ferney Voltaire, France (Greater Geneva Area)
- Recipient of Best Achievement in the field of Medical Education & Healthcare
which was awarded by
H.H Sheikh Humaid Bin Rashid Al Nuaimi
- Recipient of "Mayura Award" for 'Achievements in the field of Medical Education& Healthcare' by Karnataka Sangha, Sharjah
- Honored at the House of Lords, U.K. for invaluable contributions in the fields of Healthcare and Medical Education
- Recipient of ‘CEO of the Year - Education’ Award 2012 by the ITP Publishing Group, UAE.
- Recipient of NGI Excellence Award 2012 at the Global Indian Business Meet (GIBM), New York, U.S.A.
- Conferred with Honorary Fellowship of International Medical Science Academy (IMSA).
Mr. Moideen's accomplishments were featured as "Cover Story" in the International Indian Magazine in April 2011 issue.
Mr. Moideen has been featured (Medicine Man) amongst the influential Indians in the UAE in the Special Report of Gulf News Focus dated August 15, 2012.
Mr. Moideen - As a sought after speaker
Invited to deliver talks at various national, regional and International Conferences
- 3rd National Conference on Healthcare Leadership 2009, Bangalore, India. Title of Talk: Challenges of setting up a private medical university and teaching hospital in a foreign country.
- Healthcare Expansion Congress Middle East - Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
- 4th German-Arab Health Forum 2009, Chamber of Commerce - Hamburg, Germany
- Bio-Health - Mauritius, 2009.
- IFC - World Bank Conference on 'The Investing in People : Scaling up the Education of Health Professionals in Africa' - Washington DC, U.S.A.
- Middle East Healthcare Innovations Summit - Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
- MENA Healthcare Infrastructure Investment & Finance Summit 2010 - Cairo, Egypt.
- 2nd International Temos Conference on "Healthcare Abroad & Health Tourism" - Cologne, Germany.
- eHealth - Healthcare Leaders Forum - New Delhi, India.
- International Association of University Presidents (IAUP) XVI Triennial Conference, the World Congress of University Presidents, Rectors and Vice- Chancellors - New York, USA.
- 2nd Franchise UAE, an International Franchise, Retail & Business Opportunity Show - Dubai, UAE
- Mediconex Cairo Health - Health Finance & Investment Forum - Cairo, Egypt.
- 'Creating Trend Setting Brands' at the Interactive Seminar on Muslim Business - Best Practices, Growth & Continuity - Durban, South Africa.
- 2nd Leaders in Healthcare Conference Nasrec - Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Leaders in Healthcare - Hospital Build and Infrastructure Middle East 2012, Exhibition and Congress – Dubai, U.A.E.
- 'The Global Health Economics Forum" - The Hague, Netherlands.
- 'Creating Trend Setting Brands" at the Global Indian Business Meet (GIBM) - New York, USA.
- Education Investment, MENA - Dubai.
- 13th AUAP-UKM General Conference on “Unlocking the Wealth of Universities: Academic Entrepreneurship” held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from the 4th -7th December, 2012.
- More than 1500 people employed, mainly in the Executive cadre like Professors, Doctors and Technical Staff, and growing at the rate of 25% p.a. and will have around 7000 employees in the next 5 to 7 years.
- Leaders in medical education and healthcare in the UAE region.
- Unique healthcare model reaches the masses, thanks to emphasis on teaching and training of faculty and personnel.
- To achieve a global presence in Medical Education & Healthcare, including India and other countries in South Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
- The Group is in the process of building 2 new hospitals in Ajman and Dubai. The Group plans to build three more International campuses in the next five years.
- Plans to expand the hospital chain to at least 15 in U.A.E and other countries in the next 5 to 7 years.
- Plans for expansion of specialized GMC Pharmacies, GMC Diagnostics, ZO & MO Opticals, Nutri Plus Vita outlets.
- Increase Thumbay Group’s business value to over USD 2 Billion in the next 5 to 7 years.